Riverside Resource Recovery Facility
Riverside is the largest Energy from Waste plant in the country, comprising three advanced moving grate incinerators and boiler plant streams, supplying steam to a single steam turbine generator with air cooled condensers.
Assurance and handover, Design, Installation and Testing and commissioning
£10 - 20 million
Riverside Resource Recovery Facility (RRRF) helps meet the need for new facilities in London by providing capacity to deal with up to 670,000 tonnes of London’s residual waste.
85% of the waste arrives by river, removing the need for approximately 100,000 lorry movements per year. From the incineration of the waste, about 62 megawatt of electricity is produced. The incinerator bottom ash is recycled for use as a secondary aggregate.
VVB’s scope of works included:
- Site-wide power distribution for non essential, essential and emergency supplies
- A marine grade installation on the Jetty
- Fire detection BS5839 P1 system and fire suppression in accordance with ACE guidelines
- A Building Management System encompassing HVAC and water services control, intelligent lighting control and natural ventilation control
- A security system, including internal and external CCTV, access control, passenger and goods lifts
- The communications system, including a telephone system, structured data cabling network, IT system and server, disabled refuge system and site-wide licensed radio system
The installation at RRRF is site wide, designed to be robust and meet challenging conditions. VVB’s role included:
- Design of Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) systems
- Liaison with consultants and the end user
- Early contract involvement (at tender stage)
- Management of specialist suppliers and subcontractors
- Coordination of install with civils team
Through early involvement in the contract, we provided guidance to the main contractor on what would be required to execute the project successfully. Our involvement on site started before the building’s foundation was laid, allowing us to input into construction at every stage, delivering a well coordinated install.
A thorough handover followed, with 18 months of commissioning and support provided by our experienced technicians and engineers.