A3 Hindhead Tunnel
The A3 Hindhead Project completes the dual carriageway link between London and Portsmouth, removing a major source of congestion through the town of Hindhead, benefiting road users, local residents and the environment.
Design, Installation and Testing and commissioning
£1 - 10 million
Tunnels and Highways
The Hindhead Tunnel provides an efficient bypass route through the Hindhead area, in the form of a new 6.5 kilometre road, including 1.8 kilometre of twin bored tunnels under the Devil’s Punch Bowl, a designated area of natural beauty and of scientific importance.
The project created a 4.5 kilometre continuous route for cyclists, equestrians and walkers, away from main road traffic.
VVB was appointed by Balfour Beatty to project manage all Mechanical and Electrical Temporary Works requirements, from inception, installation, commissioning and maintenance, through to completion of all aspects of the construction phase.
VVB’s role included:
- Early contractual involvement (at tender stage)
- Value engineering and design
- Interfacing with the civil and tunnelling works
- Responsibility for electrical safety on the project
- Providing Senior Authorised, Authorised and Competent Persons
- Responsibility for implementation of HV safety rules and documentation, including issuing Switching Schedules, Permits To Work, Sanctions For Test and Limitations of Access
- Supervision of all tunnel crane lifts
- Management of specialist suppliers and subcontractors.
VVB provided all Temporary Mechanical and Electrical services throughout the construction phase. This included providing mechanics and electricians on a three-shift rolling roster, covering a 24/7 project working week.
VVB’s scope included:
- Maintenance, breakdown and repair of all tunnel plant and equipment, including the Batching Plant
- Installation of ventilation and its ducting throughout the tunnel
- Assistance with extensions of the conveyor belt
- Assembly, fit-out and maintenance of concrete lining shutters
- Design, installation and maintenance of all power distribution for the project site
- Installation of LV power throughout the tunnel
- Provision of 11kV HV power to operate the major tunnel plant
- Supply and installation of tunnel lighting
- Installation and maintenance of communications including radio, PA, telephones and environmental gas monitoring
- Installation of fire water mains
- Looking after the project offices, stores and canteens
- Temporary steel fabrication works.