A3 Hindhead Tunnel
The A3 Hindhead Project completes the dual carriageway link between London and Portsmouth, removing a major source of congestion through the town of Hindhead, benefiting road users, local residents and the environment.
The Hindhead Tunnel provides an efficient bypass route through the Hindhead area, in the form of a new 6.5 kilometre road, including 1.8 kilometre of twin bored tunnels under the Devil’s Punch Bowl, a designated area of natural beauty and of scientific importance.
The project created a 4.5 kilometre continuous route for cyclists, equestrians and walkers, away from main road traffic.
VVB was appointed by Balfour Beatty to project manage all Mechanical and Electrical Temporary Works requirements, from inception, installation, commissioning and maintenance, through to completion of all aspects of the construction phase.
VVB’s role included:
- Early contractual involvement (at tender stage)
- Value engineering and design
- Interfacing with the civil and tunnelling works
- Responsibility for electrical safety on the project
- Providing Senior Authorised, Authorised and Competent Persons
- Responsibility for implementation of HV safety rules and documentation, including issuing Switching Schedules, Permits To Work, Sanctions For Test and Limitations of Access
- Supervision of all tunnel crane lifts
- Management of specialist suppliers and subcontractors
VVB provided all Temporary Mechanical and Electrical services throughout the construction phase. This included providing mechanics and electricians on a three-shift rolling roster, covering a 24/7 project working week.
VVB’s scope included:
- Maintenance, breakdown and repair of all tunnel plant and equipment, including the Batching Plant
- Installation of ventilation and its ducting throughout the tunnel
- Assistance with extensions of the conveyor belt
- Assembly, fit-out and maintenance of concrete lining shutters
- Design, installation and maintenance of all power distribution for the project site
- Installation of LV power throughout the tunnel
- Provision of 11kV HV power to operate the major tunnel plant
- Supply and installation of tunnel lighting
- Installation and maintenance of communications including radio, PA, telephones and environmental gas monitoring
- Installation of fire water mains
- Looking after the project offices, stores and canteens
- Temporary steel fabrication works
Experience and expertise under our belt
We deliver mechanical, electrical, telecommunication, temporaries and fire engineering services for large-scale infrastructure projects, powered entirely by our own people, skills and industry know-how.View all projects
VVB was appointed to carry out the design, supply, installation and commissioning of temporary M&E and telecommunications services.Read more
Bond Street Station Upgrade
VVB provided a full M&E Enabling and Tunnelling package throughout the project to improve capacity, cooling and fire safety.Read more