Farringdon Station Upgrade
Farringdon station is the point at which Thameslink and the future Crossrail route will intersect, and once Crossrail services are running, this station will be the first to have direct access to three of London’s airports – Heathrow, Gatwick and Luton.
Assurance and handover, Installation and Testing and commissioning
£30 million +
As well as extending platforms to take longer, 12 car trains, the station was redesigned, with a new footbridge and station entrances. This reduced congestion, provided step-free access and improved interchange between train services.
VVB provided a full Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) installation package to Costain Laing O’Rourke Joint Venture as a sole contractor during stage 1, and as a joint venture partner with Crown House Technologies during stage 2.
This involved all Temporary, Enabling and Permanent M&E Works, including management of third party PFIs, Infracos and Asset Maintainers.
VVB’s role extended to:
- Electrical Duty Holder
- Full Station Survey
- Full station Permanent M&E fit-out
- Third party management, including London Underground PFIs
- Enabling Works including relocation design, planning and implementation
- Provision of ISF facilities (SOR and Ticket Office), including management of a designer
- Management of a Signalling Designer and SISS Contractor
- A full station power migration strategy
- Decommissioning of Moorgate and Barbican National Rail stations
- Crossrail Enabling Works, including demolition of two 10+ storey office blocks
- Full Temporary M&E site requirements
VVB’s scope included Permanent Works for the full station refurbishment, and Temporary and Enabling Works.
Permanent Works included installation, testing and commissioning, and handover of:
- HV and LV distribution
- Full station lighting
- HVAC systems
- Pumps and drainage
- Building Management System (BMS) control system
- Fire detection system
- CER, SOR, and ticket office fit-out
- Sanitary ware
- Uninterruptable Power Supply (UPS) and Off Line Battery Inverter (OLBI) systems
Temporary and Enabling Works included:
- HV and LV Distribution, including full Switchboard migration
- Temporary lighting
- 25kV and LV earthing
- Public Address (PA) system
- Driver Only Operation (DOO)
- Dot matrix
- Fire detection
- Pumps and drainage