Channel Tunnel Rail Link (Contract 220)
Contract 220 of the Channel Tunnel Rail Link (CTRL) involved the construction of two 7.35 metre ID rail tunnels, between Stratford and Kings Cross, in a joint venture with Nishimatsu, Cementation and Skanska (NCSJV).
Assurance and handover, Design, Installation, Maintenance, Service and Testing and commissioning
£1 - 10 million
Tunnels and Rail
After being part of the bid team, VVB was appointed by Nishimatsu, Cementation and Skanska (NCSJV) on a target cost basis to project manage the electrical requirements of the job, from first plans through to handover to the Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) contractors.
VVB was part of the senior management team for the duration of the C220 project. Thanks to a diligent, proven approach, VVB was subsequently asked by the Project Director to take on the management of all four ‘200 series’ contracts (C220, C230, C240 and C250), through to completion of the next phase of the contract.
VVB’s proactive, can-do approach, and close liaison with the client, contributed to the project’s in budget delivery.
VVB’s role required:
- Liaising with senior management on the day-to-day running and forward planning of the project, and operationally
- Responsibility for electrical safety
- Provision of Senior Authorised, Authorised and Competent Persons
- Responsibility for implementation of the HV safety rules and documentation
- Design, installation, commissioning, maintenance, testing, fault finding and repair of temporary sub-stations and electrical distribution schemes
- Design, installation, commissioning, maintenance, testing, fault finding and repair of telephone, radio, CCTV, and environmental monitoring systems
- Building, commissioning and operating two PLC controlled, Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs)
- Installation and maintenance of tunnel lighting schemes, including emergency lighting
- Installation and maintenance of surface and underground plants, including, remote SCADA-controlled conveyors, gantry cranes and pumping systems
- Implementation of maintenance schemes, in line with manufacturer and legislative requirements
- Ensuring JV compliance with the client’s quality plan.