Crossrail Anglia: North East Spur
The North East Spur works include major station improvements at Romford and Ilford, as well as general enhancements along the full 25km line. Platform extensions made way for higher capacity trains and step free access enabled enhanced accessibility.
Design and Installation
£30 million +
The extensive North East Spur works began in 2014, and required upgrades and enhancements to almost all the stations along the 25 kilometre line from Stratford East in London to Shenfield in Essex.
The project called for major improvements to Romford and Ilford stations, as well as complete Line of Route (LOR) 650 volt signalling power distribution and infrastructure improvements to improve service reliability.
VVB’s Enabling and Permanent Works included:
- Relocation design, planning and physical relocation of LV, Lighting, PA, CCTV, SISS and dot matrix systems
- Infrastructure improvements including points heating and junction lighting
- Extra train stabling capacity and turnback facilities
- A full signalling power migration strategy
- HV and LV distribution including full switchboard migrations
- Temporary lighting, ticket offices and LV earthing
- Platform extension and overbridge enabling
VVB’s four-year project started with intrusive stations and LOR surveys, which fed into the GRIP 5 detail design. The extensive Enabling and Permanent Works involved general station improvements along the entire 25 kilometre route at Goodmayes, Forest Gate, Harold Wood, Gidea Park, Chadwell Heath and Brentwood.
During the length of the project, VVB was responsible for:
- Full stations permanent Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) fit-out
- Electrical Duty Holder and UKPN DNO power supply management
- The installation of 650v LOR signalling power
- Working alongside OHLE contractor LOR 25 KN traction power interface.
The scope of Enabling and Permanent Works included:
- Full station lighting systems, including platform and junction lighting
- LV distribution, HVAC, earthing and points heating
- CER, SOR and ticket office fit-outs
- Telecommunications installation and FTN upgrades
- CIS, SISS, and CER relocations