Fore Street Tunnel Refurbishment
Fore Street Tunnel is located on the A406 North Circular Road between Edmonton and the Great Cambridge Roundabout in North London. It's a busy stretch of road, handling 100,000 vehicles per day combined.
Constructed and opened in 1998, the Fore Street tunnel is 310 metres long and constructed as two parallel bores, running from East to West. The purpose of this project was to carry out refurbishment works.
BAM Nuttall was the main contractor, carrying out civil works associated with water management, due to the existing structure leaking. Due to the ingress of water, the existing Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) services had degraded.
VVB was employed as the M&E sub-contractor to design and build a new M&E infrastructure.
VVB’s scope included:
- A Temporary Lighting System and power distribution whilst works were ongoing
- Permanent LED lighting and associated controls
- Replacement switchgear
- Cable Management Systems
- Refurbishment of switchgear
- Installation of EDP and Driver Cabinets
- Replacement Communications systems, including CCTV
- Replacement of the existing Fire Main (including trace heating, lagging and fire hydrants)
- Replacement of signage, including way-finding Signs and SOS Signs
- Replacement of supply cables to external services such as gantries, footpath and subway lighting, and pumps
- Installation of a new fire cladding system
- Replacement of the Tunnel Emergency Telephone System
- Replacement of the VMS system
- A new linear heat detection system
Experience and expertise under our belt
We deliver mechanical, electrical, telecommunication, temporaries and fire engineering services for large-scale infrastructure projects, powered entirely by our own people, skills and industry know-how.View all projects